Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Transmission » CGT gearbox / clutch problem

Old 29-07-22, 10:22 AM   #1
84CoupeGT
Grown up member

Default CGT gearbox / clutch problem

Hello all

I've recently recently got my Coupe GT on the road after many (approx 26) years off it.

I've driven it a few times now for around 10-20 miles each time. Prior to that, it was occasionally difficult to get into gear and would sometimes crunch in reverse. The clutch bite is fairly low, so I thought maybe the clutch cable needs a small adjustment, but as it was only occasional and I was focussing on other things, haven't done it yet. The only gearbox/clutch related things I've done are check the gearbox oil (it was full and completely clear) and changed the gearbox mounts when I changed all the front suspension and subframe bushes.

The last time I took the car out, I noticed a strange rattling at idle when the car was hot - an uneven noise which went away when increasing revs from idle. This could be heard in the cabin but not in the engine bay.

The car then started to become difficult to get into gear, to the point a few times it felt like it wouldn't go unless really forced. Clutch feels as it did before and no strange noises when changing gear. Fortunately the 10 miles or so home were not too busy so I managed it almost exclusively in 4th with the odd change where absolutely necessary.

Unfortunately, this was just as I was due to leave where the car is stored, and haven't been back to it since. I need to get underneath and have a look around next time I'm there of course, but just wanted to post up here to see if anyone can help with the likely main culprits to check out as the gearbox and clutch are areas I have not worked on as yet!

Cheers

Last edited by 84CoupeGT; 29-07-22 at 07:30 PM.
84CoupeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-22, 10:50 AM   #2
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

Could be the clutch release bearing breaking up.
Old 29-07-22, 12:52 PM   #3
K Simmonds
Classic Audi Club Member

Yep, either that or a knackerd pressure plate, though the rattling would suggest the release bearing is shagged.

Are the clutch's cable operated on those? I'd have thought it's hydraulic.
Old 29-07-22, 12:52 PM   #4
urquattr085
Classic Audi Club Member

Most likely as above or a linkage bush may have disintegrated - does the changing action feel any different? A little sloppy?

2010 A3 1.4 tfsi Sport - Sold but still in the family
1984 80 Quattro - Sold many moons ago
1981 Coupe GT - Sold to buy above
urquattr085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-22, 05:36 PM   #5
84CoupeGT
Grown up member

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I had been thinking along the lines of a linkage but also the rattling sound does sound like a failing bearing. The gear change feels exactly the same, other than being hard to get into gear. Clutch is definitely a cable, I think it was the later 2.2 (KV) engines which got the hydraulic clutch.

I'll have a good look at the linkages and release bearing then next time I'm back and keep everything crossed it's one of those!

Will report back soon.

Cheers
Old 29-07-22, 06:17 PM   #6
K Simmonds
Classic Audi Club Member

Ah, you learn something every day, now I know those are a cable system.

I don't mean to be a harbinger of doom but the symptom's you describe sound very much like a failing release bearing, the only way of checking that is to pull the gearbox out.... In which case you may as well fit a complete clutch kit along with a release bearing and gearbox input shaft seal.

The bearing will be quiet while in use as there's pressure on it, until it totally craps it's pants them you'll get all sorts of noises combined with lack of a clutch.

That said I'm not at all familiar with the cable systems on those cars so do check that thoroughly as it could be something really simple.

Last edited by K Simmonds; 29-07-22 at 06:49 PM.
K Simmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-22, 09:46 PM   #7
84CoupeGT
Grown up member

Cheers, yes I'm prepared for the fact I may have to take the gearbox out now. I'll have a really good look over everything and try adjusting the cable first to see if that has any effect, and check everything externally that I can. Fingers crossed!!
Old 29-07-22, 11:01 PM   #8
K Simmonds
Classic Audi Club Member

Yeah, try and look on the positive side at least you car is FWD, doing a box on them is much quicker than a quattro.

As you say, have a really good look at everything and make sure nothings come loose.

How complicated is the cable system on those cars? Asking purely out of interest.
Old 30-07-22, 06:45 PM   #9
84CoupeGT
Grown up member

Haha, that is true. Could always be worse!

The cable system seems to be very simple to me, but I'm not an experienced mechanic. It attaches onto the top of the clutch pedal at one end and the clutch operating lever at the other, and has an adjuster part way along with a locknut. That's about it!
Old 30-07-22, 10:15 PM   #10
K Simmonds
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84CoupeGT View Post
Haha, that is true. Could always be worse!

The cable system seems to be very simple to me, but I'm not an experienced mechanic. It attaches onto the top of the clutch pedal at one end and the clutch operating lever at the other, and has an adjuster part way along with a locknut. That's about it!
Cheers, sound about as simple as it can be which is good thing, did you check it all over to see if anything's loose outside the box?