Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Camshaft Removal

Old 15-04-23, 02:11 AM   #1
Sie!
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Camshaft Removal

Good morning all,

Revisiting an issue I intended fixing a couple of years back, tappet shim replacement.
I had initially borrowed the tools to depress the buckets and remove the shims, only to find at some point my vehicle has been fitted with a hydraulic head.

So..... Time has come once again to try and replace them. I have read the Haynes and it only gives the procedure to remove the cam if it is the older style head with the 5 cam caps, the hydraulic head only has 4 (I believe No4 was removed for oil passage?)

Does anyone have any reference as to the correct procedure for removing and refitting the cam on a hydraulic head? Also the bolt sequence and torque settings if available?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations, or brands of hydraulic lifters to avoid for any reason?

The engine is the carb 1781cc DS in a 1985 Audi 80.

Any help much appreciated!

Brgds,

Simon
Sie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-23, 06:20 AM   #2
tractor Dave
Classic Audi Club Member

The procedure is in the Haynes manual.
But before you go changing, what oil are you using?
These engines need thick oil to reach the correct pressures. They also do tap a bit when cold, especially when not being used regularly.
tractor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-23, 08:01 AM   #3
Sie!
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

My Haynes only gives the procedure for removing the camshaft when it has the five caps, not four.

The supplement speaks about the introduction of hydraulic tappets and tells you not to start the engine for 30 minutes after install, then refers you back to chapter 1 for the removal install procedure, and that reads as follows:

Unscrew the nuts from bearing caps 1, 3 and 5. Identify all the caps for position then remove caps 1, 3 and 5

Loosen the nuts on bearing caps 2 and 4 evenly until all valve spring tension has been released, then remove the caps.

I do not have cap 4, if I was to follow that procedure it would place the whole load on cap 2, which I can’t imagine is correct?

I use 10-40 oil and have done for the past 15 years, they have gradually become louder both cold and warm, I have no issues with oil pressure, they’re just worn (car is now on 190k).
Sie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-23, 11:33 AM   #4
tractor Dave
Classic Audi Club Member

You are using good oil then.
I think if you use common sense on the caps you will be fine. I would remove centre left right then outer left right in very small incremental turns. Replace in the same way but outside in.
tractor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote