Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Audi B2, (ur quatt), high beam wont stay on

Old 30-06-24, 08:48 PM   #1
Adam G
Grown up member

Default Audi B2, (ur quatt), high beam wont stay on

Hi, just looking for any pointers.

With the lights switched on, If I pull the stalk forward the high beam will come on but not stay on when I let go of the stalk.

I have tried dismantling the switch, cleaning contacts and putting it back together but no better.

As far as I know there is no relay for high beam, anywhere else I can look please.

Thanks.
Adam G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-24, 06:22 AM   #2
tractor Dave
Classic Audi Club Member

Isn't it pull for flash headlamps and push forward a click for headlamps on?
tractor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-24, 07:08 AM   #3
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

It may be his wording, he’s talking about pulling it forward which is a bit of a contradiction!
The stalk should click into place as it goes forward and that locks your high beam on, it sounds like a faulty stalk
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-24, 08:57 AM   #4
Adam G
Grown up member

Thumbs up

Yes, sorry for my poor wording, I when I say pulling forward I meant pulling towards me, (which is car rearwards).

I can't push the stalk away from me, it is already against a hard stop, so I'm guessing thats the problem. I haven't had the car on the road for about three years and forgot that is how the switch is supposed to operate, thanks guys.

I'll try a new stalk.
Old 01-07-24, 11:37 AM   #5
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam G View Post
Yes, sorry for my poor wording, I when I say pulling forward I meant pulling towards me, (which is car rearwards).

I can't push the stalk away from me, it is already against a hard stop, so I'm guessing thats the problem. I haven't had the car on the road for about three years and forgot that is how the switch is supposed to operate, thanks guys.

I'll try a new stalk.
Try this:
With the headlights on,
Pull the stalk towards you and release, and the main lights will flash on.

Pull it until it clicks, then release, and the lights should stay on.
Repeat to switch them off.

Last edited by BackintheFold; 02-07-24 at 12:41 AM.
BackintheFold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-24, 07:42 PM   #6
Adam G
Grown up member

Unhappy

Thanks for reminding me of the process. it seems my high beam was staying on after all but the driver side one is so dim that I thought it wasn't working at all.

I measured at the fuse and its only seeing 7 volts. Again, super bright when flashing but really dim when toggled on.

Last edited by Adam G; 14-07-24 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-07-24, 08:19 PM   #7
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Dry joint somewhere or a poor earth
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-24, 03:45 AM   #8
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

A previous lights stalk failed in that it would not latch in the high beam position. When pulling the stalk towards you to switch to high, it would only spring back, but it was possible to feel the mechanism ‘try’ to click into position.
Old 14-07-24, 09:47 PM   #9
Adam G
Grown up member

Default All headlight dim

I need to change the title to all headlights dim as they are staying on.

After much fiddling I found that with one bulb plugged in it is bright but each time I plug in one of the other 3 headlight bulb they all get a little dimmer, starting the car to up voltage makes no difference.

Changed the stalk switch and rebuilt the dash headlight switch, plus replaced some wiring I found with worn insulation. Still no good.

Does anyone know where the control unit is please that notifies the voice synthasizer of a headlight problem. Possibly the only thing in the circuit I haven't looked at.
Old 15-07-24, 05:08 AM   #10
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Model year is going to help when it comes to electrical issues. There are many variations, along with some features that were added along the way.

The inputs to the voice synthesizer/warning module are fairly basic and rudimentary.

What you are now describing is a load issue. The greater the load on the supply, the worse it gets. Old wiring, tarnished connections, and internal problems affecting the relay contacts. All sources of increased circuit resistance.
quattro headlights (poor output) have been the source of many complaint over the years.

Anything less than 12v at the bulb is going to have a rapidly decreasing output. (Edit to add- frequently, it’s really low, in single digits, 8~9volts)
Each bulb is drawing several amps, which will also manifest as heat in other areas, like the headlight stalk, and the fuse/relay box.

There were several ‘high power’ wiring looms offered over the years, which used the original circuitry to simply switch an additional relay to each headlight, and provide a different route for the headlamp supply.
I’ve seen a few, and they were a fire hazard due to really crappy quality. But the concept is sound.

Last edited by Hanuman; 15-07-24 at 05:46 AM.
Hanuman is offline   Reply With Quote