Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Transmission » CGT gearbox / clutch problem

Old 18-08-23, 05:31 AM   #91
K Simmonds
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84CoupeGT View Post
I haven't disconnected the cable to try that yet, but it's definitely a good starting point, thank you. My gut feeling is that the creaking is coming from the pedal over centre spring but the stiffness is the pressure plate itself, it's an aftermarket one of course as original ones are impossible to find now as far as I can tell.

I have found the springs available though for relatively little money so may try replacing that if the creak is still there after disconnecting the cable.

Not sure what I can do about the stiffness though if it is the clutch itself. I wonder how difficult changing to a hydraulic system would be!! Probably quite a pain I imagine.

Will report back when I've had chance to have another look and investigate further.

Cheers
Another post to cover these points after looking at diagrams of the system you have...

I very much doubt the spring itself is at at fault, much more likely to be bushing on a piviot point or even the cable itself.

Converting it to hydraulic opperation whilst technically posiable would be an absloute nightmare and cost a fortune, it would require fabrication of custom parts as well as a lot of new expensive componants. I wouldn't even entertain that idea.

As already mentioned inspect all the pivot points and the cable, if the outer covering on the cable has worn through anywhere in the engine bay it will allow water to get into the cable and that will make it heavy and creaky, though if it wan't doing it that before I very much doubt that's your problem.
Old 19-08-23, 10:57 PM   #92
84CoupeGT
Grown up member

Good stuff, thanks for the input. When I am next where the car is, I'll detach the cable and probably try to get the pedal out for proper inspection, have a good look at the bushings and pulley again. The cable shouldn't be binding as it's OEM new old stock and only a year / 500 miles old. The outer sleeve has buckled as mentioned before, but it hasn't changed the curve of the cable or broken the sleeve allowing water in etc. That said, I will also try lubricating it just in case.

I have a feeling that a) the cable clutches in these cars are heavy anyway and b) the new aftermarket pressure plate I bought is stiff and c) the bushing in the bellhousing that I couldn't find anywhere and therefore didn't replace is not helping. Probably combined with the factors you have mentioned.

I'll obviously start with the pedal and cable but I have a horrible feeling this isn't going to be sorted easily.

Cheers
84CoupeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-23, 05:36 PM   #93
84CoupeGT
Grown up member

Had a couple of hours to look at the car this week. Started by detaching the clutch cable at the lever. The pedal and cable move very freely and the spring seems to do exactly what it's supposed to. With the cable detached, I can press the pedal down with my little finger, about halfway down it then snaps down to the floor and stays there.

The release lever itself moves quite easily (obviously against some pressure from the return spring but easily moved by hand) until it hits the pressure plate, and then cannot be moved by hand at all. At the point you can feel it coming into contact with the pressure plate, the lever was approx at right angles to the cable, so I tried adjusting the position of the lever on the shaft so that it was just slightly lower when it makes contact. I then adjusted the cable again as per the manual so there is approx 20mm of play. Although it's still heavy, the pedal feel is much better and less "awkward" feeling. Took it for a long drive and I'm much happier with the way it feels now, although I do still need to find a new cable as there are a couple of "buckles" in the outer cover which could get worse and put the adjustment way out again. If anyone does have a spare cable lying about that they don't need, please let me know... Otherwise I'll have to get one manufactured somewhere.

Cheers
84CoupeGT is offline   Reply With Quote