Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Lost my coolant

Old 13-02-23, 10:00 PM   #1
Gaz

Unhappy Lost my coolant

Went for a drive today in the CQ typ85 and on the way home clouds of steam followed me down the road.

Popped the bonnet and coolant seems to leaking from the pipe at the back of the engine. Not sure if it's the rubber pipe or the part that the pipe connects to?

Also looks like the expansion bottle cap released pressure too. But perhaps it just sprayed around the engine bay from the back of engine? Not sure.

Is the outlet on the back of the engine a separate part? Does it rust away and leak? Or is it likely just the rubber pipe that is leaking?

Anyway, are either of these parts available? Or anybody have spares?
Cheers.
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-23, 12:33 PM   #2
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

10v engines have a metal pipe with a right angle bend, 1 M8 bolts holds it in place, their is a rubber O ring that seals it in the recess in the block block, the pipe goes to the heater matrix, never had the O ring seal fail before, may be the rubber pipe.
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-23, 01:20 PM   #3
Gaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Aitchison View Post
10v engines have a metal pipe with a right angle bend, 1 M8 bolts holds it in place, their is a rubber O ring that seals it in the recess in the block block, the pipe goes to the heater matrix, never had the O ring seal fail before, may be the rubber pipe.
Cars stuck in a car park atm.

Will take pipe off and look for any splits, but if it is the metal pipe, could it have rusted though?

Where would I get a replacement? (For either metal pipe or rubber hose)
Old 15-02-23, 02:42 PM   #4
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

All 5 cylinders have the metal pipe, the rubber hoses can vary a little, don't think you will have problems fixing it, all so a thermo time switch screwed into the back of the head, sealed with copper washer, could have come loose, this is on fuel injection engines.
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-23, 07:50 AM   #5
Gaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Aitchison View Post
All 5 cylinders have the metal pipe, the rubber hoses can vary a little, don't think you will have problems fixing it, all so a thermo time switch screwed into the back of the head, sealed with copper washer, could have come loose, this is on fuel injection engines.
Managed to get back to the car yesterday to take a proper look in the daylight.

It has indeed split down the rubber pipe just whre it comes out of the back of the engine.

Unfortunately I was unable to remove jubilee clip as the slit for the screwdriver has rusted up and has also rounded off.

I wonder, would it be okay to cut it off and then cap off the two pipe ends to stop coolant coming out? Just temporarily at least?

It won't affect engine cooling or anything?

Also, is it hard to replace the rubber pipe ? I presume it goes behind the dashboard somewhere?
Old 16-02-23, 11:09 AM   #6
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
I wonder, would it be okay to cut it off and then cap off the two pipe ends to stop coolant coming out? Just temporarily at least?

It won't affect engine cooling or anything?

Also, is it hard to replace the rubber pipe ? I presume it goes behind the dashboard somewhere?
If this is a hose going to the matrix, which by the sound of it, it is(?), by-passing the matrix by joining the two (matrix) hoses together is a better idea/bodge(!) Probably standard diameter heater hose.

I'm not familiar with the B2 heater pipes/matrix but if I remember right the VW golf of same vintage was accessible enough.....similar (ish).
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-23, 11:10 AM   #7
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

you may be able to cut it where the split is, feed a short length of cooper pipe in there, and jubilee clip it into place.
I don't know how much space there is for that-but it is a solid/temporary fix!
As a drive home fix, lots of tape (if you can get it dry) and then run the car very gently with the expansion cap off-so the system doesn't get up to pressure and drop all the coolant.

Of course, not recommended for anythign other than getting you out of a bad place in town...
Old 22-02-23, 11:57 AM   #8
K Simmonds
Classic Audi Club Member

Could very easily be a blown head gasket pressurising the system and causing joints to fail along with header tank breather cap venting.

I'd run a compression test.