Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Bodywork, glass & exterior fitments » VAG Door Handle compatibility

Old 17-07-24, 08:27 PM   #1
IronJaw
Grown up member

Default VAG Door Handle compatibility

Hi
Apologies if this has been covered before.

I had a call from my Dad today panicking because he’d parked his 85 Coupe GT up and the lock barrel snapped off and came out with the key. Consequently he can’t lock the car.

I’m just wondering if the handles fitted to other VAG vehicles such as Mk2 golf, polo etc would fit the B2 or is it a case of they look similar but are different.

Thanks. S.
IronJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-24, 11:27 PM   #2
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJaw View Post
Hi

I had a call from my Dad today panicking because he’d parked his 85 Coupe GT up and the lock barrel snapped off and came out with the key. Consequently he can’t lock the car.

I’m just wondering if the handles fitted to other VAG vehicles such as Mk2 golf, polo etc would fit the B2 or is it a case of they look similar but are different.

Thanks. S.

The way to identify these is to look at the keys, if the keys are the same then the barrels are usually the same
Duffy3074 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-24, 06:54 AM   #3
tractor Dave
Classic Audi Club Member

It may not be broken. There is a little screw at the back of the handle that holds the barrel in. Maybe it came undone?
I also have a new spare here if it is broken.

Last edited by tractor Dave; 18-07-24 at 07:54 AM.
tractor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-24, 07:46 AM   #4
vagdream
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJaw View Post
Hi

Thanks. S.
Door handles are the same between B2 and Mk1/2 Golf. Identical part numbers too.
vagdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-24, 06:18 AM   #5
IronJaw
Grown up member

Hi
Sorry for late reply, this forum has been down for weeks! Or at least it has on my end. I’ve been trying to get on for ages and it just shows a blank page telling me to contact the administrator.

Anyway, I ordered a £10 Golf door handle and swapped the lock over to the coupe handle. There were some minor differences between the two of them so made one good handle out of two.

The lock had totally disinterested, never seen anything like it. Might up another and do the same on the passenger door because we’ve never had a working lock on that side.

Thanks for the help!
Old 27-08-24, 08:46 AM   #6
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

If you had the problem locking that i suspect you had, you can get round it by manualy locking the driver's door, then exiting via the passenger side with that locked before you close the door.
But you have to be able to get back in again of course!
Old 29-08-24, 06:03 AM   #7
IronJaw
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackintheFold View Post
If you had the problem locking that i suspect you had, you can get round it by manualy locking the driver's door, then exiting via the passenger side with that locked before you close the door.
But you have to be able to get back in again of course!
He wasn’t having any lock problems, it just fell apart one day. I found the rest of the lock barrel in the door when I went about changing it.

Which reminds me, how many screws did they use on that door card!? I felt like it took forever to get it all off.

I’m not sure if the central locking would prevent that method but at 70 years old I don’t think he’d be up for shimmying across the car. Even me at 37 would have to think about it
Old 02-09-24, 09:59 AM   #8
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

Sit on passenger seat, lean across to driver's button, press it down, exit stage left (pursued by a bear).

The c/l prevents you from pressing the button down on the driver's door and closing the door-locked. The passenger door does not have that protection.